E-mail us: email@example.com
Mail digest October 5, 2010
GGS Social events
*Coffee Hour – Sara is bringing delicious goodies ! join us for 5 min or for an hour.
* Movie Club – Thursday Oct. 7th at 5:30pm for the first 2010/2011 GGSA movie night for a showing of "The Beach". Come join us in the Grad lounge on Thursday Oct. 7th at 5:30pm for the first 2010/2011 GGSA movie night for a showing of "The Beach". For those of you unfamiliar with this movie, it tells the story of a few travelers as they navigate their way through Thailand's tourist route searching to 'get off the beaten track'. They hear tell of a 'hidden' island and set off to find it. When they arrive it seems as though they have found Paradise. But when things start to go wrong, how far must they go to keep this 'Paradise' a secret? It's basically a modern day take on Lord of the Flies... But I promise you, it is not artsy fartsy, but a Hollywood eye's view ;)
* Mont St. Hilaire Retreat, Oct 22-24th – Reminder to bring your 10$ deposit to reserve your spot on this year’s Mont St. Hilaire retreat! Spots will be prioritized for geography students before Oct 8th afterwhich spots will be opne to non-geography students. Deposits can be dropped off to Camille or Etienne in room 510 in the GIC!
* Pumpkin Carving Contest !!!!(last week of October) We are hoping to organize group pumpkin carving contest in the last week of October – so keep your ears out for more updates and start thinking of creative designs!
PGSS Events: http://pgss.mcgill.ca/
* 7 Oct 2010 - 13:00 1st Annual Science & Policy Exchange
* 8 Oct 2010 - 18:00 Bollywood Night
* Geospectives: http://www.geog.mcgill.ca/geospectives.html
* GEC3: http://www.geog.mcgill.ca/gec3/index.php/events/
Dept. Anthropology: http://www.mcgill.ca/anthropology/news/speaker_series/
* Monday October 4th, 12:30-2:30pm – “Anti globalization and the Struggle for the World” – presented by Jose Pedro Zuquete, in Peterson Hall 116 from 12:30-2:30 (begin with a light lunch) Dept. Atmosphere and Ocean Sciences: http://www.mcgill.ca/meteo/seminars/departmental/
* Monday October 4th – “What determine the width of the Hadley cell and the position of midlatitude storm tracks” presented by Jian Lu - George Mason University and Center of Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA), VA, USA Dept. Biology: http://biology.mcgill.ca/sem_events.html
• Thursday, October 7th, 3:00 p.m. “The public health of forests: an epidemiological approach to climate change vulnerability” presented by Dr. Jim Clark, Duke University, in the Redpath Museum Auditorium. Host: Dr. M. Loreau
Upcoming Events in October
Geography - Geospectives Seminars:
• Monday Oct 18, 11-12:30 (Room 426) “Land use, climate change and resilience in Nenets social-ecological systems, Arctic Russia” presented by Dr. Bruce Forbes, Arctic Centre, University of Lapland
• Wednesday, October 13th, “The roles for diverse physical phenomena during the origin of life” presented by Dr. Jack Szostak, Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Nobel Prize in Medicine 2009, Palmer Howard Theater, Room 522, McIntyre Medical Building.
• Monday Oct 18th, 12:30 -2:30pm –“ Expertise and Advocacy as Modes of Knowledge Production” presented by Stuart Kirsch, Assistant professor of Anthropology at the University of Michigan McGill School of Environment:
* Thursday October 21st , 6:00pm – Climate Wars – presented by Gywwne Dyers in Moyse Hall, 853 Sherbrooke Street West, McGill University, http://www.mcgill.ca/mse/events/ General McGill Events:
* Tuesday October 19th- McGill Conference on Global Food Security http://www.mcgill.ca/globalfoodsecurity/program/
If you have any question about these events please email Camille or Sylvia
E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org
October 11, 2010